- Gareth Roberts Opticians
- Llandudno (Conwy)
- Permanent, Full Time
Trainee starting salary up to £21,000
Trainee Dispensing Optician
Established in 1980, Gareth Roberts Opticians is a family owned business which is at the heart of the local community. With a focus on providing a friendly and customer centred service, the dedicated and close-knit team, have gained the business an enviable reputation. The company is passionate about looking after its team as much as its customers, by providing career development opportunities, a great working environment, and ongoing support and recognition.
The Role – Trainee Dispensing Optician
Through distanced learning over three years, you will be working towards the Level 6 Diploma in Ophthalmic Dispensing, accredited by the Association of British Dispensing Opticians. This course has a strong focus on mathematics and science, therefore the natural ability to learn with these subject matters is essential.
Over your initial few months in the role, you will be shadowing the Dispensing Optician, to learn how to advise customers on various type of lenses and frames, including how they should wear and care for their spectacles. As your role develops your duties will include, although will not be limited to:
- Offering a warm welcome from the moment customers walk through the door
- Assisting with enquiries over the telephone
- Ensuring the smooth and efficient management of the store diary
- Updating records and providing administrative support to ensure smooth running of the store
- Providing guidance on offers and products including the latest optical examination
- Processing customer collections, and ensuring fit and comfort are checked and any necessary adjustments made
As a Trainee Dispensing Optician, you’ll be based at our store in Llandudno, and you will benefit from:
- Fully funded studies to work towards Level 6 Diploma in Ophthalmic Dispensing. Once qualified you will have the potential to earn in the region of £25,000 to £30,000 per year
- Starting trainee salary in the region of £17,500 to £21,000 with the level dependent on experience
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Permanent contract
- Working 5 days out of 6 on a bi-weekly rota covering Monday to Saturday 9am to 5:30pm (where a Saturday is worked there will be a 5pm finish).
Our Requirements - Trainee Dispensing Optician
- At least 5 GCSE’s at minimum grade C or above including with subjects English, Mathematics and Science
- Excellent practical skills, that following training, will enable you to make adjustments to spectacles
- Good basic IT literacy
- A flexible and ‘can do’ working style with a willingness to learn, improve and adapt
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and written
- An appreciation for fashion and style to aid advice on optical products
- Ability to work as part of a team, and on own initiative
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise own workload
All applications for this Trainee Dispensing Optician role are to be submitted online.